Sunday, November 2, 2008

Beans and Rice Malawi Style - by Bob


Finally posting this one.

Beans and rice was my favorite meal in Malawi. I could never get it quite as delicious as a Malawian could, but I did my best. I also really loved the beans with Nsima (staple food of Malawi), but I have not cooked that since I've been back.



For the beans:
1 bag of red kidney beans
1 onion
2-3 tomatoes
1 clove garlic
olive oil

I don't have any specific measurements for any of this, but I usually cook the beans with a significant amount of water. I prefer mine not too runny, but enough water to keep the moisture. Add salt to the beans, to taste.
Once the beans are nearing done (usually about 3 hours on the stove top) begin chopping onion and mincing garlic. Simmer in olive oil. Chop tomatoes and add to onions and garlic. Cook until tomatoes form a sauce. Add this sauce to your finished beans and stir in, cooking for about another 15 minutes.
I prefer my rice extra sticky, but prepare your rice the way you like it :)

Enjoy! And imagine cooking this on an open fire. If you want the full experience, go to your back yard, place three large stones in a circle (just far enough apart that a pot can sit on top of them. Gather some sticks and wood for your fire, and place between the stones, with the fire focused in the center. This cooks your beans much faster, but you will have to continually watch the water level, and keep your fire going for a couple of hours! Good luck with that part! :)

posted by Bob

3 comments:

Mulberry Hill said...

Thanks for posting this!!

I am excited. I havent checked the site for a few days. I was so excited to see it. Cant wait to try.

I miss you
Steph

Fiver said...

i love red beans and rice and make mine quite similar BUT i don't think i am gifted enough for the open fire, silver turtles are about as daring as i get.

blessings,

cole

katiebeegd said...

Like the photo and the recipe. Brought back some memories of you and Chiwamba cooking for me when I was there. I can almost smell it.

Thanks for sharing it.
Love, Momma Katie