Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Buttermilk Biscuits - by Momma Katie (Grandma Werth)

Momma Katie memories: I was a 19 year old stay at home mom trying to learn to cook, sew, crochet and be domestic. Your Grandma Werth and Aunt Sylvia were instrumental in teaching me some of these skills. This buttermilk biscuit recipe from Grandma Werth is the one that I used to make dumplings for my chicken and dumpling recipe. They were absolutely the best dumplings ever. Cracker Barrel comes close. I used it occasionally for just biscuits too.

Ingredients:

4 cups unsifted flour
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup oil
1 1/4 cup buttermilk

Sift flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Blend in oil and buttermilk into mixture. Knead lightly till smooth.

For biscuits : Roll out onto lightly floured surface to 1/2 inch thick for biscuits. Cut and bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees fir 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.

For dumplings: Roll out to a thick version of a tortillia and cut into strips. Save these to drop into your chicken dumpling broth.

posted by: Momma Katie

2 comments:

Indigo Children said...

mmmmmm. Now post the chicken and dumplings recipe!!

Mulberry Hill said...

I dont think I had that recipe. But The Great Brain will be glad he loves homemade biscuits and gravy.