Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Banana Bread - by Steph

Mom made several things that were wonderful. But another of her recipes that stood out as the best of its kind is Banana Bread. The moist cake like insides hidden under the sweet and slightly crispy top is so Delicious.

Momma Katie added: Claim to fame for this recipe actually goes to Aunt Priss. It was one of my favorite recipes and a great way to use bananas that young girls determined were no longer edible. Priss shared many yummy comforting recipes with me such as her delicious apple cake and her (bet you can't eat just one) caramel popcorn.

4 cups flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1/2 buttermilk (or a few drops of vinegar in with reg. milk)
1/2t soda
4eggs beaten
1tsp vanilla
1cup pecans(some say are optional but not to me)
3 or 4 lg bananas chopped

Mix wet ingredients
And dry ingredients separately then mix together. Stir in Bananas and pour into greased pans.

Stephs modifications
1/2 white 1/2 wheat flour
1/2 applesauce 1/2 oil
1/2 sugar 1/2 honey
and triple the soda.

I usually double or triple for our family. I make 1/2 of the loaves with no nuts. Then when the bowl is 1/2 empty I pour in nuts to my liking. Otherwise I find little already been tasted (and then spit out) pecans in corners of the house or table.
Admittedly it is not the original. But it allows us to eat more of it, with a little less guilt.

Stace added:
Thanks for posting this Steph. We made this recipe last night (nearly all gone now). We cooked the bread at 350 for about 1 hour. The recipe made two regular loaves. We just kept checking until the toothpick came out clean. Here are some pictures:




5 comments:

Indigo Children said...

I am so glad you posted this recipe. This is one of her best. After I had Boddhi she made a couple loaves for me. This warm bread was very comforting to me through all the hormones and tears of a new baby and out of town husband. I can't wait to make it (I think i will have to wait on my bananas to ripen a bit first though). I like to slice it and warm it in the oven a few minutes and then slather it with butter. yummy!

Indigo Children said...

how long do you bake it?

Bobbie said...

i made so many loaves of this in malawi. some modifications to the recipe perhaps. i remember when my banana tree ripened i did not know what to do with all the bananas. i gave some away in bundles. then i just made several banana bread loaves and handed them out to my neighbors. they were a big hit!

katiebeegd said...

Stace, would you update the recipe with how long you had to cook it, how many bread pans it makes and anything that I originally left off of Steph's recipe?

Mulberry Hill said...

Thanks for adding the pictures and checking the cooking time etc..

You are a go getter! I miss you
Steph