Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Fig cake - by Momma Katie (Grandma (Mom) Collins)

Momma Katie memories: I remember as a kid thinking 'Fig cake - gross', but was pleasantly surprised when I tried it. I would slice a piece, put it in a toaster oven to warm and then add butter to it. As a young wife, I would make this cake, an apple cake and banana bread; slice them into individual pieces and freeze them. I would put a different one in your dad's lunch everyday.

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sour milk (or 1/2 tsp vinegar to sweet milk)
1 tsp. soda (dissolved in the milk)
1 1/2 cup fig preserves (1 pint jar juice and all)
3 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamin
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup nuts (optional)

If you have sour milk, put the soda in cake mix. If not, mix milk, vinegar and soda before mixing cake so that it can rise.

Mix and bake at 350 degrees. Test several spots with a toothpick because the figs will make the toothpick come out gooey in places. Again, I don't seem to have the cooking time.

The fig preserves were picked at your Grandpa Werth's house and Mom Collins and I preserved them. The figs were still whole pieces and we would chop them up for the cake. I have found fig preserves like this at that barbeque place that is halfway between FW and BC.

posted by: Momma Katie

0 comments: